Thursday, January 26, 2006

January 24th-open mic was funny

The night was quite nice even with some folks not coming out due to the wind. Only in Columbus would people let air stop them from coming out. But hey, the house filled up again so no complaints, no worries, and alot of love to those who came out.
The open mic list swelled to over 20 people. Long night but apparently needed since these folks all had something to say.
Had a nice mixture of virgins, fairly new cats, some Black Pearl regulars, and some vets from other scenes and cities showing how they get down.
The night has become a spot where folks who work together come down en masse to the place. I like that.
Business comment- new sound system forthcoming. I..need..surround.

I passed out kisses (as in Hersheys) some time ago and people thought it was cute. Then the holidays came and I grabbed some small peppermint candy canes and soon had people complaining if they did not get one. Cute. This past Tuesday-?-I passed out candy canes since it was cold..then once things settled down a bit I reached into my bag and tossed out a few Pixie Sticks (remember those?)
You would have thought I was passing out glass pipes at a Marion Barry family reunion!
Folks were asking for more (hey Ed I dropped my stick can I get another?), asking for seconds (you got any blue ones?).
It was hillarious.
It does not take much to please people was the lesson I took away from this.
Some warm spot to chill, nice atmosphere, good poetry, a chance to be heard and grow and share, and apparently-a slight sugar rush along the way.
:)
Now I am thinking of all the things I ate as a kid that I can't stand now. (anyone who knows me there is only one thing I eat and it can only be loosely considered candy)
Next week I am going to get medieval Willy Wonka on them!